As from Wednesday 15th November one can apply for the Church School Entry for the scholastic year of 2018-2019. This call is applicable for children who will not be drawn by lot, i.e children in Church homes, children of Church school employees, siblings of those already attending Church schools, and transfers between schools from the same congregation.
The deadline for applications is the 29th of November and they can be submitted online, or by visiting one of the following schools: the Seminary in Rabat, St Angela School in Zabbar or St Michael’s in Sta Venera from 9am till 2pm between Monday and Friday. (Visit the website for more details before applying.)
The applications are open to those children who will be in the following classes next year: Kindergarten 1 (born in 2015) and Kindergarten 2 (born in 2014), first year of Primary school (born in 2013), and Form 1 (born in 2007).
Preference is given according to the criteria as listed below:
- Children which were already accepted but their attendance was excused because their parents had to go abroad for serious issues.
- Children from Church Homes.
- Children of Church School Employees.
- Siblings of children who already attend a Church School. This applies to adopted or fostered siblings. It doesn’t apply if the siblings are of a different gender and the school is not mixed.
- Children who wish to be transferred from one Church School to another.
- Students who attend Church Schools without Continuity (e.g. the school doesn’t offer secondary education).
As from January of next year, if there is still place left, there will be a call for applications for children who fall in the Second Criteria (Serious Cases) and the Third Criteria (Other Applicants-those drawn by lot).
These applications will available online from 22nd January 2018 till Tuesday 13 February 2018.
The second criteria includes: children in need of a learning support assistant (LSA); asylum seekers or children of parents who are asylum seekers, social cases and children who are in care order.
Children of single mothers, with separated parents or those who have been adopted or fostered do not fall into this category.
The lots will be drawn on different days. The results will be published on the Curia’s website. Each application form costs €15. Late applications cost €20. Admissions cost €40. The fees cover administration expenses.
Click here for more information on how to apply and the list of documents needed.
This article was written by guest contributor Franica Pulis who works as a freelance writer, proofreader and translator. Her life revolves around her two young sons and her husband. Franica spent 5 years working as a journalist with newspapers Illum and MaltaToday and has been involved in theatre for the past 20 years.