Oh the places you’ll go. Summer school holiday edition. Coming up in today’s installment: Home in the A/C. During this unbearable heat, it safe to say most of you out there have been spending the afternoons with your kids playing at home, at friends or somewhere in the A/C. On days like these you definitely need a pick me up!
These crunchy, ‘chocolaty’, energy bars double as a great baking activity with the kids and the perfect mid-morning or late afternoon snack.
- 55g Raw Buckwheat
- 55g Quinoa
- 85g Pumpkin Seeds
- 35g Coconut Flakes / Desiccated Coconut
- 55g Sunflower Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
- 120g Maple Syrup / Honey / Rice Malt Syrup
- 60g Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Tahini
- 30g Raw Cacao Powder
1) Place the buckwheat in a pan on a stove or in the oven and lightly toast (Thermomix bowl: 2mins/100 degrees/Speed 1/Reverse)
2) Add the quinoa to the pan and lightly toast (Thermomix: 2 mins / 100 / Speed 1 / Reverse)
3) Add in the pumpkin seeds, coconut chips, sunflower seeds and chia seeds and stir thoroughly. (Thermomix: 10 secs / Speed 1/ Reverse). Set aside.
4) In another pot on the stove, add the tahini, syrup, coconut oil and stir while it melts. (If you are using the Thermomix, there is no need to wash the bowl. Simply add the ingredients to the same Thermomix bowl and cook for 3mins / 70 degrees / Speed 1)
5) Add cacao powder and mix ( Thermomix: 30secs / 70 / Speed 1). Scrape down sides if need be to make sure all the cocoa powder is incorporated. The mixture should be quite thick by now.
6) Place seed mixture which you set aside earlier back into the pot and mix everything together. (Thermomix: 1 min / Speed 1)
7) Pour into a greased tin and flatten down. Place in fridge for a few hours to set (around 2 hours is sufficient).
8) Cut into 8 bars or smaller bite sized pieces. Enjoy!
9) Store in the fridge (if there are any left)