Oh the places you’ll go…..Summer school holiday edition. Coming up in today’s installment: Friendly catch-ups!
With most schools being ‘nut-free’ environments these days, I like to take the opportunity during the holidays (or after-school hours) to give my kids lots of protein and vitamin rich nuts.
I also love gifting our playdate friends (who are not nut intolerant / allergic) with these delicious (and much healthier than store bought) gluten-free almond biscottis.
My kids definitely enjoy the ‘CRUNCH’ factor of these biscuits, and are very happy to eat them anytime and all the time.
- 50-90g coconut sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 pinch cream of tartare
- 120g brown rice flour
- 120g blanched almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Line base of loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
2. Place sugar into food processor/ Thermomix and mill until fine. ( Thermomix: 10 seconds / Speed 9) . Clean and dry bowl.
3. Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form ( Thermomix: Insert butterfly attachment- whisk 2 mins / 37 degrees / Speed 3, without measuring cup).
4. Whisk egg whites again, this time gradually adding reserved sugar 1 teaspoon at a time, until fully incorporated. ( Thermomix: 2-3 mins / Speed 3, then remove butterfly whisk).
5. Add Rice flour, almonds, vanilla extract and almond extract and combine ( Thermomix: 4 seconds / reverse / speed 3)
6. Transfer mixture into prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes. Transfer onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely (about 2 hours)
7. Preheat oven to 120°C. Place a wire rack onto a baking tray. Slice biscuits into thin slices and place onto wire rack. Bake fore 40-50 minutes or until completely dry and crispy.
Enjoy and remember to share the crunchy goodness! 😉