As a mum of two VERY active kids, as much as possible I try and fit in as much physical activity as possible whenever I can. Whether it is going for a brisk walk in the city, a picnic or visiting the playground, I have learnt that engaging in some kind of physical activity leads to more serene and content kids.
One thing which we find super easy and practical to carry around and accompany us in our outings, is the Micro Scooter. Here are 5 reasons why we think this is one of the best gifts for active kids:
1) Promotes physical activity – Considering that 40% of Maltese children are obese or overweight, any efforts to promote physical activity in our children from a young age is doing a great world of good for them both physically and mentally. Physical activity releases endorphins and is proven to benefit all of us, not only physically but also mentally. Children who start exercising from a young age are more likely to exercise at an older age.
2) Helps build confidence – The micro-scooter is purposely built to enable even kids as young as 12 months to master riding it. When they do, they gain valuable confidence knowing they can handle this skill which can potentially make them eager to tackle other new skills.
3) Inspires independent play – Naturally kids should always be supervised when riding scooters, however ride-on toys encourage independent play, helping them take in their surroundings on their own. This type of play, exposes children to the type of independent thinking that they will need in order to succeed in school and in the workforce
4) Gets kids to go outdoors – Electronic devices are increasingly replacing outdoor play for children which is a pity, since getting outside into the fresh is an essential part of childhood. Kids who spend time outdoors tend to be healthier and grow up to love being outside. Playing outside gives positive stimulation which kids will not obtain from being indoors in front of a screen.
5) Grows with your child – We gave both our kids their first mini-micro when they turned 2 and my eldest who is 4 years old still loves it and demands to take it with us to every outing. Watching them both scoot together is the cutest thing. One other positive I find, is that they are really compact and easy to carry thus making it possible to take them with me even when I am out alone with both kids.
6) Teaches balance and direction – Scooters are powered by a kick but directed using balance, thus helping improve coordination, especially when kids are young and are still learning how to balance using their weight.
7) Fun – For my kids, the main reason they love their scooters so much is because of the endless fun they get out of riding them and who could blame them!
Micro Scooters in Malta
In 2009, entrepreneur Kate de Cesare discovered the Mini Micro Scooter. Being a mum herself she recognised the benefits this product offered her daughters Georgia and Sophie, which spurred her to bring the brand to Malta.
Micro Scooters is the no. 1 Swiss brand in scooters for kids and adults of all ages.