This pumpkin risotto recipe is suitable for all the family, especially little fussy eaters, since the pumpkin is liquidised, thus there are no pieces. Thanks to Erika Fiorini, fellow mum and founder of Wish Cakes, Cupcakes and Desserts for the recipe.
- 15g butter
- 1 x tablespoon olive oil
- 1 x medium sized onion
- 2 x cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 x cups Arborio rice
- 1 x cup diced pumpkin or butternut squash
- 3 -4 cups hot stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan or Grana cheese
- pinch of salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat butter and oil together in a large saucepan.
- Gently cook the onion and garlic.
- Stir in the pumpkin.
- Once cooked, liquidise the pumpkin mixture until smooth.
- Add the rice and stir well.
- Pour over 1 cup of the hot stock.
- Cook, stirring often until the liquid is almost all absorbed. You don’t want the liquid to be boiling in with the rice, just a gentle simmer.
- Continue stirring and adding stock one cup at a time until the stock is all absorbed and the rice is tender.
- This takes about 20 minutes.
You don’t need to stand there stirring the whole time if you use a non-stick pot and return often.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese,seasoning and parsley. It will go lovely and sticky with the cheese.
- Serve immediately.